Paul and Gayle are taking a year from their roles in Picton and Belleville and will be teaching at the Maple Leaf International School in Trinidad. We will use this blog to record some of our edventures!

Tuesday 10 February 2015

Update on Second Semester

With almost 10 days of second semester under my belt, I think it is time to send a quick school update.

This semester I'm teaching a grade 10 applied class of 8 students, a grade 11 university chemistry of 14 and a grade 12 health sciences class of 12 students. I know, could it get any better?

I'm enjoying all of my classes. As you may know, teaching science allows for a lot of hands on, cool learning experiences. For instance, today my grade 10 boys ran a microscope workshop for the grade 5s. It was super cool to watch my boys guide the younger students in using the microscope to view Portugal pegs (the little juice packets in a tangerine), toilet paper (unused of course), tropical plants, hair and as a finale, a dead ant.

We also had a meet the teacher night last week and during this time, the mom of one of my grade 12 health science kids contacted the Minister of Health to see if we could get a tour of the Port of Spain General Hospital. Can you say "well connected"? Anyway, I just received a phone call from someone from the Trinidad Health Network looking to help me arrange a tour. Score!

Energy is building at school as next week we have a week off to celebrate Carnival. I'd like to assign work, but I'm just not sure it will be completed, even though officially Carnival lasts 2 days.

With my sister, her daughter and my Dad and Hazel arriving shortly for a visit, I"m sure there will be a few more posts with details of Carnival and Trinidad through the eyes of frozen Canadians.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment.